Some of our instructors have been dabbling in a bit of clay making. I can't say it's something I would have thought of doing, but it turns out it is easier than it first may seem. Fancy finding out how and maybe even having a go yourself? Continue reading to find out how to process soil into clay.
YOU WILL NEED:
➤ Bucket X2
➤ Stick ➤ Water
1. Start by filling 1/3 of your bucket with soil.
2. Add water and use your hands to break up the soil particles as finely as you can.
3. Add water and use your hands to break up the soil particles as finely as you can get them.
4. Give the bucket a stir.
5. Once the soil is fully suspended in the water and then leave a few minutes to settle.
6. While you are waiting, get a sheet ready inside your second bucket. Anything with a fine weave will do!
7. Allow the water to move through the sheet. This will happen quite slowly. Once fully drained allow the remaining clay to dry to desired consistency.
8. Use the clay to make your pottery!